Complete Home Inspection Service, LLC
Owner: Gene Kennigseder
1215 Springhills Drive, Alma, AR 72921
Call us today for more information!
Cell: (479) 420-8320
Fax: (479) 632-1065

Mold and Moisture

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm

 

What are Molds?

Molds are fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more. Molds grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions, and spread and reproduce by making spores. Mold spores can survive harsh environmental conditions, such as dry conditions, that do not support normal mold growth.

Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. 

How can people decrease mold exposure?
Sensitive individuals should avoid areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas. Inside homes, mold growth can be slowed by keeping humidity levels between 40% and 60%, and ventilating showers and cooking areas. If there is mold growth in your home, you should clean up the mold and fix the water problem. Mold growth can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water.

If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:

 

Specific Recommendations:

If you suspect there is mold growing in your home, a mold inspection is the best way to determine if there is an issue. If you are susceptible to mold and mold is seen or smelled, there is a potential health risk; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal. 

For more information on mold and potential health risks, visit CDC.gov.

Share:  Add to Facebook Tweet This Add to Delicious Submit to Digg Stumble This

Here's what our clients say about us

 

We appreciated the fact that he was willing to explain problems to us and not just list them.  We were very impressed with the patience he had to answer all our questions and not rush us through the inspection process.  The customer service and knowledge he provided to us were exactly what we needed and desired from a home inspector. 

Thanks so much,

 

Kathy and Dan Pinzon, Fort Smith, AR